Webinar for employers and host organisations: Psychosocial support for researchers at risk, March 10 2021
Topic: Psychosocial support for researchers at risk
Date: 10 March, 2021
Time: 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM CET (1 hour webinar); 11.05 to 12.00PM CET (55 mins follow up meeting)
The focus of this webinar was on how organisations who are hosting or employing researchers at risk can best support them in the area of mental health and social wellbeing, mindful of the particular needs and challenges they face.
The target group for this webinar and follow up meeting was staff from institutions and organisations who are involved in supporting the hosting/ employment of researchers at risk such as international offices, human resources, faculty, departments, institutes etc.
Please note that at the 2021 Philipp Schwartz and Inspireurope Stakeholder Forum on April 26 & 27, one of the dedicated sessions for researchers at risk will focus on digital and personal security.
The event on March 10th was organised in two parts; the first part (60 min) included presentations from a panel of speakers and a questions and answers session. The second part was a seperate 55 mins meeting with breakout discussions on a range of subtopics related to psychosocial support for researchers at risk with a plenary summary of issues and ideas from the breakout groups.
Topics covered included:
- Mental health challenges for researchers at risk and cultural barriers to talking about it
- How to identify, understand and help researchers with trauma from past experiences
- Where researchers at risk can seek professional assistance
- The importance of building social networks
- The particular challenges relating to isolation during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Discussion on steps to take for host institutions and organisations employing researchers at risk
The speakers for the 1 hour webinar were:
- Ewing Amadi Salumu (Chair), UAF, the Netherlands
- Halina Grzymała-Moszczyńska, Jagiellonian University, Poland
- Olga Hünler, Freie Universität, Germany
- Heike Berner, University of Cologne, Germany
Click below to view the presentations from the webinar:
- Presentation by Ewing Amadi Salumu PSS for researchers at risk 10.3.21
- Presentation by Dr Halina Grzymala-Moszczynska PSS for researchers at risk 10.3.21
- Presentation by Dr Olga Hünler PSS for researchers at risk 10.3.21
- Presentation by Dr Heike Berner PSS for researchers at risk 10.3.21
For further resources and guides on hosting researchers at risk, please see the heading; ‘Resources for preparing the work environment to receive researchers at risk’ on the Inspireurope resources page
To view a recording of the webinar, please click below: