LIBERTAS. Spaces and practices of academic freedom, June 22-24, 2022
To celebrate eight centuries of commitment to the protection and promotion of academic freedom and to revive such commitment the University of Padova, in collaboration with Scholars at Risk Italy and Scholars at Risk Europe, is organising an international conference to discuss LIBERTAS. Spaces and practices of academic freedom.
The aim of this conference is to promote knowledge and understanding of processes that – across the centuries and still today – have put academic freedom as a specific form of freedom of expression at stake, and to expand the debate on themes related to academic freedom and its violations. The conference adopts a trans-disciplinary approach to academic freedom, informed by historical awareness and evidence of current threats, and it brings into dialogue voices from academia and other sectors as well as at-risk scholars. Furthermore, the conference considers the multi-level nature of commitment to academic freedom: local, national and European.
The conference is preceded by a workshop on “Engaging students in responsible Internationalisation” organised together with SAR Sweden, which is the final of three workshops organised in the context of the Swetaly collaboration between Italian and Swedish rectors’ conferences. Following the conference SAR Italy will hold its General Assembly.
Conference sessions include
- Book launch: Libertas. Tra religione, politica e saperi/LIbertas. Between religion, politics and knowledge (edited by Andrea Caracausi, Paola Molino and Dennj Solera)
- Round table: Academic freedom interrogates European institutions
- Panel: Refugee scholarship and refugee knowledges of Europe: of challenges and precarious balances
- Panel: Framing advocacy and internationalisation revised
- Workshop: Involving students in responsible internationalisation (with care)
- Panel: Protecting academic freedom: call for an Italian national program for scholarships
Learn more about the event here.